This Newborn Session Details and FAQ is a quick guide of what to expect during your newborn session, what to bring, and what to wear. Please click on each heading to see more information.
When should I schedule my newborn session?
It is never too early to schedule your newborn session. Clients often schedule their sessions with me as early as 6 months prior to their due date. The earlier the better so you can secure a date for your newborn session. I only take a few sessions a month to allow for plenty of flexibility, so if you secure your date early, you can be certain that when your bundle of joy appears, it is one less thing you have to worry about.
Due dates are an estimate, how can we get a definite date booked for our newborn session?
Once you have your session booked, I will mark your due date on my calendar as a general idea of when your baby will arrive. Please keep in touch with me as your due date approaches and keep me appraised of any changes during your pregnancy if I need to adjust your due date. Please call, text, or email me when your baby is born and once you get home from the hospital, call or email me to set up a date for you and your family to come to the studio and document this beautiful stage of your lives!
How long do newborn sessions last?
Newborn sessions are never rushed and usually last between 2-3 hours. This allows for plenty of time for extra feedings, burping, and soothing. Babies are all very different and some may sleep the entire session, while others may take a bit more soothing throughout the session.Your session will be the only newborn session that I book for the day as I like to keep everything relaxed and enjoyable for everyone.
How do you keep the baby sleepy the entire session?
Newborn sessions are best completed within the first 10-14 days after your baby is born, as this is when they are extra sleepy and curly and it is easier to place them into those beautiful poses you see in my portfolio. To ensure a sleepy baby it helps to keep your baby awake about an hour before the session. Give your baby a warm bath right before it is time for you to leave to come to my studio so baby is awake and alert for a longer period of time. When you arrive at the studio, you will have plenty of time to feed your baby which will then help them fall into a deep sleep. Please bring a few bottles of formula or pumped breast milk, enough to last the whole session. Please also bring a pacifier as I use it to help soothe baby after they get into position. The studio is usually kept between 80-85 degrees which babies absolutely love and that keeps them comfortable throughout the session. A white noise machine is constantly played to help lull baby into a deep sleep.
What should my baby wear to the newborn session?
Newborns photograph best without any clothes on, mostly because they are so small and even the tiniest clothes don’t fit them quite right just yet! Please do not dress baby in any tight clothing and try not to place the diaper on too tight as these will cause lines to form on baby’s delicate skin. The studio is full of blankets, wraps, headbands, hats, and props to create beautiful images that you will treasure for many years to come. Every session is custom styled to your tastes so we will be discussing colors and types of props that appeal to you prior to your session.
You photograph baby without a diaper on, will there be any accidents?
Newborns poo and pee a lot when they are first born so I expect accidents to happen. Please do not be alarmed or embarrassed as this is all very natural and I am used to it. If baby has an accident, I try to take the shot first if I cannot see it and then we can move baby to clean up and move on to the next shot. This is why it is so important for you to being extra changes of clothing for mom, dad, and baby.
Can we bring a family heirloom or a special item to the newborn session?
Yes, please do! I love to incorporate your personalities into our session whenever possible. If either parent is in a uniformed profession, please feel free to bring in your uniform and we can discuss the best ways to incorporate that into your session. When possible, please let me know ahead of time what items you are planning on bringing so I can prepare a set up that will compliment your items.
What should we wear to our baby’s newborn session?
I love including parents and siblings in my newborn sessions! Please bring at least 2 outfits for each of your family members. Please try to keep outfit colors neutral with no large prints or logos. This brings the focus of the picture on you and your little one to create a timeless, classic image that you are sure to love. Also, it is always a great idea to bring at least one change of clothes, because accidents happen at the least expected times!
Here are some suggestions for your family that I find come out looking best and go well with any decor in your home.
- Moms: Black tank top/t-shirt and a white tank top/t-shirt.
- Dads: Black t-shirt and a white t-shirt. I also often ask if Dad is comfortable shirtless as skin to skin contact pictures with the dad are the most memorable and beautiful. Please discuss this prior to our session.
- Brothers: I usually photograph boys shirtless so please come in jeans or plain shorts either khaki or brown. If big brother is a lot older and is uncomfortable shirtless, please bring a black t-shirt and a white t-shirt.
- Sisters: If baby sister is a lot younger, we may photograph her shirtless too so please bring jeans or plain shorts either khaki or brown. A white dress or any color that you think would go well with the decor in your home. Neutral colors like browns, beige, or other lovely fall colors would work well too.
- Muted colors like light pinks, light browns, light orange work well. Neon bright colors are not recommended as they tend to overpower the subjects. Try not to exactly match your clothing. If you wear a light beige or brown, daughter can wear light pink, etc. Coordinating colors work well to accent the beauty depicted in your photograph.
What should we bring to the newborn session?
- A pacifier is highly recommended as I use it to soothe baby when I place them in a position. Even if you don’t currently use one, I do recommend it just for the session
- A few bottles of breast milk or formula. Bring more than you think is necessary as newborns tend to eat a lot more in my studio
- Plenty of diapers and wipes
- A couple changes of clothing for mom, dad, and for baby
- Snacks for mom and dad
- Breast pump if you would like to pump during the session
Maternity Session Details and FAQ
When should I book my maternity session?
It is never too early to book your maternity session. Maternity sessions are best done within 6-8 months of pregnancy so the belly is beautifully round, and you are not too uncomfortable yet. Maternity sessions will run 30-60 mins long and can be done in my studio or on location. Travel fees may apply for on location sessions.
If the weather is beautiful and you would like an outdoor session, I can recommend a few locations that will be beautiful to shoot at. If it is during the winter months, maternity sessions are best held in my studio. It will be more difficult to document your beautiful belly if you are all bundled up. I love focusing on the belly, the connection you have with the baby growing inside of you, and I believe that in studio, we can accomplish more with my maternity dresses, fabrics, head pieces, and backdrops.
What should I wear to my maternity session?
- If you are doing an in-studio session, please bring a set of nude underwear preferably strapless. Bring a set of lacy or sexy underwear and a sweater that you can drape over yourself. Bring a plain white tank top, black tank top, jeans (preferably non-maternity jeans). Try not to wear underwear that is too tight an hour before your maternity session so as to minimize lines on your body. I have maternity dresses that can fit a wide range of sizes. If you are an XS-L size before pregnancy, my dresses will fit you. If you would like me to order a dress for you from Sew Trendy at my photographer discount, please let me know.
- If you are doing an outdoor session, muted colors like light pinks, light browns, light orange, light blue work well. Black, grey or cream are good safe options. Neon bright colors are not recommended as they tend to overpower the subjects. Try not to wear any small prints as they tend to look busy. Try not to exactly match your clothing color wise. For ideas on what to wear to your session, please take a look at my what to wear Pinterest board.
- If you have children who are coming along for your session, please read the sibling portion in the what to wear to my newborn session section above.
Is Hair and Makeup included?
Your maternity session does not include custom hair and makeup but it is highly recommended to complete your look. I want to provide an experience that makes you feel beautiful and pampered, and images that will help you appreciate the true beauty you possess! Please contact me to inquire about adding hair and makeup to your maternity session.